The Instax Mini 9 is more colorful and selfie-friendly than the Instax Mini 8.
Launched in March 2017, the easiest way to describe the Instax Mini 9 is an enhanced version of the ever-popular Instax Mini 8 which is, arguably, the best-selling instant camera of all time.
While the look and feel of the Instax Mini 9 are comparable to its predecessor there are a few noteworthy upgrades:
- The addition of a selfie mirror allows you to check the framing of your shot before taking the picture
- The Instax Mini 9 comes is available in 5 unique and stylish colors (more on this later), namely cobalt blue, ice blue, flamingo pink, lime green, and smoky white
- It comes with a close-up lens attachment which makes shooting up to 35 cm away possible
To be honest, the enhancements to the Instax Mini 9 are probably not enough to justify upgrading from the Instax Mini 8.
READ NEXT: HOW TO RESET INSTAX MINI 9 CAMERAS
However, if you are a die-hard Instax fan or new to the market and looking to buy a fantastic instant camera then read on and find out more of the strengths and weaknesses of the Instax Mini 9 and then you can decide if this is the right camera for you.
To find out more about the Mini 9 please take a look at this video review:
PROS & CONS OF THE INSTAX MINI 9
- Simple and easy to use, making it perfect for weddings and other special occasions
- Suitable for children and can be a great introduction to photography
- Available in a unique and stylish range of colors
- Great value for money (retailing under $70 at the time of writing)
- Has a 4.6 star Amazon rating based on customer reviews!
- Minor enhancements over the Instax Mini 8 (somewhat understandable given the huge success of the Mini 8)
- As with all instant cameras, the cost of a film can be expensive
- Not ideal for taking photos some distance away
INSTAX MINI 9 KEY FEATURES
KEY FEATURE 1: AUTOMATIC SETTING SELECTION
The Instax Mini 9 is a very easy-to-use camera and after a short while of using the camera, you will be able to take good pictures.
One key feature of the Instax Mini 9 key is an automatic setting selection which informs you of the best setting for the current light conditions – all you have to do is simply turn the dial to the illuminated setting
There are four different exposure levels:
- Indoors, Night (F12.7)
- Cloudy, Shade (F16)
- Sunny, Slightly cloudy (F22)
- Sunny and bright (F32)
KEY FEATURE 2: HI-KEY MODE
Selecting the fifth option on the dial, known as “hi-key” mode, will allow you to take photos with a softer impression.
INSTAX MINI 9 DESIGN
As we mentioned earlier in this article, the Instax Mini 9 has a matte plastic finish and comes in five unique colors (which we love!) as you can see below:
The Mini 9 weighs in at 307g making it light and compact enough to carry around in a small bag or rucksack.
The Instax Mini 9 is essentially an upgraded version of the Instax Mini 8 making it a great buy for anyone seeking a new instant camera.
If you already own a Mini 8 then the upgrades offered by the Mini 9 probably don’t justify the need to purchase the Mini 9 – unless of course, you are a selfie addict haha.
In summary, the Instax Mini 9 is a fun, easy-to-use camera that is very competitively priced all of which reflects in the 4.6-star rating it received based on customer reviews.
I hope you have found this Instax Mini 9 review helpful and would love to hear your thoughts so please comment below.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Instax Mini 7s vs 9
Emma JohnsonI have loved photography from a young age and more recently started experimenting with Instant Cameras from Polaroid and Instax. I also love dancing and hanging out with my friends :)
This free cheat sheet will improve your instant camera photography skills by providing quick information on using instant cameras, lighting, taking selfies, and more!
Instax Square SQ10 Camera Review 2022
The Instax Square SQ10 is a “hybrid instant camera” combining the hipster appeal of an instant camera with Instagram style filters and color edits.
Instax Mini 70 – Fujifilm Instant Camera Review
Although both higher and lower-end options are available, depending on your budget, the Instax mini 70 occupies a sweet spot in terms of price to performance.