This Instax Square SQ10 review looks at the latest instant camera in the Fujifilm range of the hugely popular Instax range.
The SQ10 had big expectations to live up to following in the footsteps of the best-selling Instax Mini 8 and we are excited to tell you that Fuji have brought things to another level with the SQ10.
How have they done this?
By offering a “hybrid instant camera” which combines the hipster coolness of an instant camera with Instagram-esque filters and colour edits which you can apply before printing your Instax photos!
How so? Well, the Instax Square SQ10 stores up to 50 images on its internal memory (or to a micro SDHC/ micro SD card if you prefer). You can enjoy over 3,000 photography styles – from just three buttons and one dial!
PROS AND CONS OF THE INSTAX SQUARE SQ10 CAMERA
- Unlike other Instax cameras, the Square SQ10 gives you the ability to reprint multiples of your favourite shot so you can share with friends and family
- We love the Instagram like style of the square photos and at 62 mm x 62 mm they are noticeably larger than the Instax Mini cameras
- Dual shutter buttons are perfect for lefties or righties who want to flip the camera round and shoot in selfie-mode
- The SQ10 combines the advantages of an Instax camera with those of a digital camera
- With the huge step up in technology offered in the SQ10 comes a higher price tag than most Instant Cameras on the market
- Some people may feel the “hybrid instant camera” removes some of the nostalgia associated with the retro-inspired instant camera movement
FEATURES OF THE INSTAX SQUARE SQ10 CAMERA
The SQ10 has a host of new and exciting features including:
- 10 different filters such as saturation and tone
- Vignette which allows you to adjust the peripheral light between 19 levels
- Brightness adjustment to easily optimise the brightness of your photos
- Automatic exposure control; and
- The ability to trim and edit each of your photos before printing
The new enhanced digital imaging technology allows you to shoot as close as 4 inches (10cm) from your subject and auto-focus and adjust the exposure in dark areas, providing vivid photos in a wide range of scenes in your everyday life.
SQ10 DESIGN FEATURES
Dual Shutter Button – On most Instax cameras the shutter button is on the right side of the camera. For the SQ10 Fuji have opted for a dual shutter system with 2 shutter buttons which is perfect for lefties and also, in our experience using the camera, really neat if you want to flip the camera around and shoot in selfie mode!
High-quality feel – The design of the SQ10 retains the iconic look and feel of the Instax camera range while also being stylish and ergonomic.
We liked the shaved metal lens ring and Fujifilm’s choice to go back to basics and stick with offering the camera in black.
New user interface design – Fuji have equipped the SQ10 with an LCD monitor which keeps displayed information to a minimum under which they have placed the buttons and dials in a neat and functional circular arrangement.
We found this to be intuitive and easy to use while shooting, editing, processing and printing photos.
INSTAX SQUARE SQ10 REVIEW – SHOULD I BUY?
The Instax Square SQ10 is a revolutionary camera in the instant camera market, and perfect for someone who loves the combination of its hipster appeal and Instagram like features.
It’s a quality product which will continue the Fujifilm tradition of producing legendary “Instax” cameras and only time will tell if it can surpass the best-selling Instax Mini 8.
We hope you found this Instax Square SQ10 review helpful and would love to hear your thoughts so please comment below.